Monday, July 18, 2011

Angel's Wings


Angel’s Wings

It is stated, that an angel is a heavenly being, one that watches over us and guides us onto the right path.

Despite what I had been raised to believe, I always questions in such an existence. How could I not? Growing up poor in a city coated by fog and mist I could only think of such stories as make-believe. Angels were just fantasy, hopelessness was reality and the Demon in me believed that from the bottom of its black heart.

Until the day I met one.

I remember it so well. The way the fog of the black city just seemed to dissipate around me. There she stood, bathed in the light of the sun above which had forced through the darkness above.

I was skeptical though.

Drawn in by her light, the darkness in me sought to shut it out. I couldn’t possibly fly with an angel, so my dirt-soiled hands wanted to pull her down to the cold surface of the Earth. Despite how much I tried to soil those pure white wings, she still became my friend and a heavenly fire resonated within me that exorcised my filthy Demon.

The fire didn’t stop burning!

We talked, we laughed, and the closer we came the more my fire burned with feelings I had never felt, feelings that seemed unnatural in my cold, lifeless city. I wasn’t content being her friend, no. I needed more to quell the fire within me before I burned.

I wanted to fly.

As her friend I could only ever stand below her. I would have to take flight if I ever wished to be happy. My inner-fire gave my wings and I shot upwards like a rocket, I was an arrow shot by Cupid, I was Icarus flying towards the Sun!

And like Icarus I fell…

As I fell towards the ground below, I thought I would shatter. I thought that the little Demon would return to take my soul down to the Hell of this city. I hated her for letting me fall; I thought for sure that this was just another cruel joke of fate.

But I didn’t hit the concrete blow.

She may have rejected these feelings of mine, and that fire in me was a burning pain. Still, she was a friend through and through and she gave me a glimmer of what real happiness was and could be. My Angel had filled with light and hope.

My own wings grew then, and I flew off to Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment